The writings of Heather Lynn Rigaud

Welcome to Austen Nights, the home of author Heather Lynn Rigaud. Heather's writing is focused on updating the classic works of Jane Austen, taking these classic characters where they've never gone before. She welcomes you to enjoy 'Sweet Austen days and Hot Austen nights!'

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Slurry Meets Jane Austen

WELCOME to all our friends taking part in Austenesque Extravaganza! I've been enjoying all the fun and I hope you have too. Here's my offering:



Slurry Meets Jane Austen


From MTV News, I'm Kurt Loder.

As the release of their new biography, Fitzwilliam Darcy Rock Star draws near, MTV News has asked the members of Long Borne Suffering and Slurry to give their opinions on the work which inspired it- Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice. We wanted to know how they see themselves compared to the characters in the original work. Lets check out what they had to say.

Jane Bennet, LBS:  Personally, I felt very close to my namesake. P&P Jane certainly had a different life from mine, but she is a very kind and good natured person. While I may not go riding in carriages, I can certainly relate to the struggle between what you want to do, and what you're supposed to do.

Elizabeth Bennet, LBS: I wanted to knock their heads together. I mean, it was obvious to both Darcy and Lizzy that they were in love at Lambton, but did they do anything about it? Of course not! No, that wouldn't be proper. And what was the deal with Jane waiting and hoping that Bingley would come back? My sister would have had him flat on his back within 10 minutes. (Laughs) She's not afraid to express herself.

Charlotte Lucas LBS:  (Laughing) I end up with Collins? Seriously? (Laughs some more) And he's a minister? Like I can see that. (Richard Fitzwilliam joins in, also laughing) Bwaaaaaakkkkkk! Ba-wak-bock-bock!  That's your chickens, Char. I'm going to remember that next time you give me any grief- it's either me or the chickens! (both laugh so hard they are unable to continue.)

Charles Bingley, Slurry:  Well, it's a famous book, right? And it's very well written. But it's kinda long. Honestly, I didn't finish all of it. But Jane said we end up together, so that's what counts, right?

Caroline Bingley, tour manager: In Jane Austen's day, women were very limited in their opportunities. Making a good match was their career in many cases, as well as setting up their family members of equally good matches. As such, Austen needed villains and I guess my characters was one of them. I can see why the book version of Caroline would be so mercenary- Mr. Darcy was quite a prize, but at the same time, I think she was a very lonely person at heart. 

Fitzwilliam Darcy, Slurry:  Love stories are probably the oldest stories there are, and certainly the theme of two people who don't like each other later falling in love is also very old. But there is something about Austen's work that makes it timeless and endearing. Her characters feel very modern and real. The emotions they express are recognizable in ourselves. And her language is amazing. She precisely expresses what is happening, without ever telling too much or spoon-feeding the reader. 

I've been told I'm a 'Darcy-type', whatever that means, and certainly we share some physical characteristics, as well as our family circumstances. But I see the historical Darcy as being more certain of his place in society. I guess one of the benefits of having such a strict  culture is that everyone would have an established place. Our society is much more mobil, which has its pros and cons, but it does allow for much more freedom of expression. That is something I'm very grateful for.

Question: Do you think the book will be a success? I certainly hope so. Slurry has become something that is much bigger than it's parts, and so far the public has been eager for anything we've produced, so on that note, I feel pretty confident. But in another way, I feel it is already a success: Elizabeth and I are happy together and we're able to follow all our dreams. I can't think of anything more successful than that.

33 comments:

  1. I've just received my review copy from your publisher and ... ready to dive into Slurry's world. Thanks for this teaser, Heather. Fingers crossed for the launch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to read it soon and can't wait :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, I cannot wait to read it! I am super excited! Based on everything I have heard other readers say about Slurry, I think it will be a huge success!! I know I have mine pre-ordered and cannot wait for the day I find it at my doorstep! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! I heart Slurry and Long Borne Suffering! I loved seeing these characters again! Elizabeth was priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HL, I laughed out loud at Charles not finishing P&P. Yeah, it's long, and there are NO PICTURES. So Bingley!

    All of us who took part in the summer of Slurry have been waiting for its publications for YEARS.I have FD, Rockstar on preorder, and I can't wait to hold your book in my hands. Congrations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. -Charlotte and Richard Fitzwillaim made me laugh. Makes me wonder....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've already Pre-ordered my copy, Heather. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heather, I can't wait to see what you do with all these characters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the love, folks! I heart every one of you!!!

    Keep Rockin!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My first thought at seeing the title and cover of the book was, "Seriously?" But I try to remain pretty open when it comes to retellings of Jane Austen's books because that's what they are, another way of looking at things. Honestly, sometimes it turns out pretty well, and admittedly, the more I read about your book the more interested I am.So I'll definitely be picking up a copy. I hope it's a great success.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amanda: I know as a concept it's a little strange, but I hope you will give it a chance. If you go to Indiebound (An independant booksellers site) and click on the google preview for my book, you'll find a very long excerpt, to help you make up your mind. Here's the link: http://www.indiebound.org/book/9781402257810

    ReplyDelete
  13. Caroline Bingley as road manager? Oh boy! Best of luck, Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post Heather! I would certainly expect Miss Bingley to be a competent manager. Too bad for her that she wasn't able to manage Darcy! Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heather, Elizabeth's response cracked me up completely! How true to form! And I'm really enjoying reading the new pre-pub FDRS!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with Debbie S that Bingley's response was hilarious! I also love your book title! Best of luck with the launch.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the whole MTV thing! Great interview Kurt lol!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aww, well said, Darcy! All of their answers were great, really. So in-character. My first reaction to the concept was also "really? I don't know..." but then I read somewhere (probably AustenAuthors) where you described Darcy as the broody but passionate guitarist more in the background, vs. Bingley and Richard's "front man" personalities, and it totally made sense. I'm super excited about reading it. Caroline being a manager is a great way for her to plan and monitor every moment of Darcy's life Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Did you make any changes from the on-line version to the published version?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah! I Love this!! This is going to be a fun read, I can tell :o)

    ReplyDelete
  21. These responses were perfect to the characters. I love it! There is some great JAFF out there, but I think Slurry is my favorite modern version I have read so far. I cannot wait for Fitzwilliam Darcy Rock Star!
    I have it on preorder and can't wait to see what you did with it. Congrats Heather!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. From reading the description of Fitzwilliam Darcy Rock Star, it's an original concept so don't worry because it will be a great success. If not, your publisher would not have picked up this book and publish it.

    MG, you got an ARC copy from Sourcebooks? How lucky of you to be able to read it first before the release date. How I wish Sourcebooks could send it o me too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds like a really fun book!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOL! This sounds hilarious! Definitely want to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your cover catches my eye every time I see it, Heather. Now that I've read these character sketches, I'm really eager to read the book. Can't wait for its release!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is too funny. It made my day. Can't wait to read the novel!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That was great!! Some of the commentary was SO snarky!!! LOL Looking forwards to the the release and adding it to my to-read list right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. slurry said it! " her language is amazing. She precisely expresses what is happening, without ever telling too much or spoon-feeding the reader."
    my total agreement ") thanks Heather! enjoy your part of austenesque '')

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love this! I have been waiting for the book to come out. I am excited! Thanks for sharing this!

    Jennifer W.

    ReplyDelete
  30. With all the rewrites of P&P I think this one sounds brilliant! I'm not much for zombies so I'd much prefer one set in current times and writing as Kurt Loder well, I'm old enough to remember when they actually played music on MTV! I'm old enough to remember the first day of MTV! Great name by the way!

    I will put on my TBR list!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  31. I liked the interview, especially Charlotte's reaction to marrying a minister. Setting P&P in the music industry is a neat idea and I'm looking forward to the book!

    ReplyDelete