The writings of Heather Lynn Rigaud

Welcome to Austen Nights, the home of author Heather Lynn Rigaud. Heather's writing is focused on updating the classic works of Jane Austen, taking these classic characters where they've never gone before. She welcomes you to enjoy 'Sweet Austen days and Hot Austen nights!'

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A War Report

So far, War has been going very well. Our new shower is wonderful and I can't express how nice a hot shower is first thing in the morning. Most of our folks have arrived, with a new lady due today and another couple due tomorrow. The camp is working, with lots of the great food we've become known for.

On Sunday, my husband & I went to the opening ceremony, where all the Kings and Queens gather and declare war. It was hot and the sun's glare was harsh, but it was worth it to see all the armies marching in. It was followed by a tournement in which 10 ledgendary champions fought. Those men were incredibly inspiring. These were men who formed the SCA and made it what it is today. I felt as if I were watching history being made and yes, I cried.

I'm in town today to catch up with the real world and do some work. Book launches wait for no man or war. When I get back to camp, I'm going to support one of my friends as she teaches a new class, and then tonight we're going to be out partying in the bog!

1 comment:

  1. Heather,

    I know I'm almost a month behind, but I love to hear your accounts of Pennsic! I can't tell you how grateful I am to you for introducing me to the SCA through Jane Austen. I hope to finally attend Pennsic in 2012 with Northshield (Yes, I live in the Midrealm but all my friends live in Northshield (: ) Congratulations on "Slurry/FDRS". I was travelling to Minnesota last week and passed a farm in Wisconsin. It made me think of that farm we passed years ago that had "Slurry" written on the silos!

    Again, best wishes to you! Hope everything turns out wonderfully!

    Amanda Leslie

    ReplyDelete